If we talk about an array of products that strikes a chord with parents, then we can’t leave out baby breathing monitors. For babies, especially newborns they make so many weird movements and ad-hoc gestures that sometimes it sends parents in dizzy That’s exactly the reason, parents don’t want to take chances and have their baby’s movements monitors by leveraging technology. And baby breathing and movement monitors are an exceptionally good way to achieve this purpose.
In these roundup posts, we are covering a lot of information such as the benefits and demerits of baby breathing monitors (yes, it does have few demerits as well). Apart, if you are searching for a few good recommendations for the best baby breathing and movement monitors, then we have covered you by sharing the top 5 picks for 2021.
5 Best Baby Monitors for Breathing and Movement Tracking – Top List & Reviews 2021
|Image||Baby Monitor Model||Our Rating||Price on Amazon|
|Babysense Hisense 5s Baby Safe Movement Monitor||9.2||Check Price|
|Snuza Hero SE Baby Movement Monitor||8.9||Check Price|
|Angelcare Movement and Sound Monitor||8.8||Check Price|
Owlet Smart Sock 2
|Snuza Hero Mobile Baby Movement Monitor||8.1||Check Price|
Babysense Hisense 5s Baby Safe Infant Movement Monitor
The Hisense 5s Baby Monitor is a non-touch type device that analyzes the movements of a baby. The device comes from Babysense, which is one of the most dedicated companies to make products for pregnant women and new moms. Babysense not only makes sleeping bags and blankets for babies but also concentrates on many other products that improve the life of a baby as well as his or her parents.
The Hisense monitor is one of the most revolutionary offerings from the brand, especially because the monitor has certain aspects that are very unique. Also, the company claims that it is the first non-touch device of its kind, which is mostly true.
- The Hisense 5s comes with a control unit and two sensor pads. There is nothing else, so the device is not complicated at all.
- The device is quite handy because it weighs just 2.3 pounds and has dimensions of 8 x 3 x 6 inches.
- As far as its working is concerned, it utilizes 4 AA batteries in order to work.
- Other than that, the design of the product is very modern and sleek.
- The Hisense Baby Monitor is mainly dependent on the two sensor pads. The pads are either placed between the baby crib and the mattress, or in the bed base. After that, the control unit tracks the movements of the baby in order to detect any abnormalities.
- In case a baby does not exhibit any micro-movement for over 20 seconds, the unit beeps an alarm to notify the parents.
- The device also screams in case no more than 10 micro-movements are detected within a minute.
- While the monitor is in operation, it keeps flashing blue light to let the world know that it is working.
- Setting up this baby monitor is one of the easiest things to do
- Unlike many similar monitors, this device almost never produces false alarms if instructions are followed carefully
- The sensor pads do not touch the baby in order to work, so the baby can sleep peacefully without any distractions
- Its design is very nice, and it is a very well-made product in many ways
- If there is a working fan in the room, the monitor may not work very appropriately
- Compared to certain baby movement monitors, this device is a bit pricey
Snuza Hero SE Baby Movement Monitor
The Snuza Hero Monitor is one of the top-selling baby monitors in the market at present. Snuza, if you do not know, is one of the market leaders in producing baby monitors.
What is really great about the company is that its main focus is baby monitors, unlike some of its competitors which make all kinds of different baby products. So, it often produces better baby monitors compared to other brands.
The Hero Monitor is a single-device monitor that does what it is supposed to do very nicely.
If you want a movement monitor that is easy to use and capable, the Hero might just be the right device for you.
With a weight of just 0.6 ounces, the Snuza Hero boasts of being a very lightweight monitor that is easy to carry around. As far as dimensions go, the measurements are 1.8 x 1.6 x 2.8 inches. That means the size of the monitor is very compact, too. It requires one lithium metal battery in order to carry on its operations, and the battery is a rechargeable kind. The monitor is only a single-device product, which means that there are no additional sensor pads or anything else that you need to mind.
Being really sensitive to baby movements, the Snuza Hero patiently tracks the abdominal movements of a baby. In case it does not detect any movement for 15 seconds, it vibrates to rouse the baby. Usually, the rousing is enough to bring back the movements.
However, in the case of baby movements stop 3 times for a session of 15 seconds, the monitor starts to make noise in order to alert the parents. If there is no movement for 5 more seconds, it beeps loud alarm. The device also alerts you if there only occur less than 8 movements per minute.
- The device only has a single attachment that needs to be attached to the diaper of the baby, so it is very simple
- It notifies you if the battery is getting low
- The monitor is very sensitive, so most of the time it performs its job really well
- The build quality of the product is good enough to make you happy
- The battery lasts a really long time
- You can expect to hear false alarms at least a few times
- The company discourages its use when the baby is in motion
Angelcare Movement and Sound Monitor
Angelcare has been making baby products since the year 1997. Over the past 20 years, the products manufactured by the company have only improved. Even though the company makes a number of different baby products, it mainly focuses on baby monitors such as video monitors, movement monitors, etc.
The Angelcare Movement and Baby Sound Monitor from the company are one of its more popular products. With a number of different components and features, the monitor seeks to provide the most peace of mind possible to new parents.
- The Angelcare monitor is a 3.5-pound offering that includes a sensor pad and a parent unit.
- Compared to certain other monitors, this one is a bit bulky as its dimensions are 12.7 x 5.2 x 11.1 inches.
- The monitor utilizes 4 AAA batteries in order to carry on its duty. The batteries are of a rechargeable kind.
- Other than that, the product looks quite well-designed and attractive.
- Overall, when it comes to specifications, this monitor does not disappoint.
- This monitor is not as simple as some other monitors as it has multiple components and a variety of bells and whistles, but that is a good thing.
- In order for the monitor to work, you need to slide the sensor pad under the crib mattress of the baby.
- After that, the monitor begins to detect all the small and big movements of the baby.
- In addition to tracking movements, the monitor also transmits sound from the baby’s room to the parent unit.
- In case the parents go somewhere that is out of reach, the monitor uses an indicator to alert.
- The monitor packs a night light, too, in order to help parents navigate in the dark in the baby’s room.
- The device comes with a temperature display feature, and it sounds alarm in case it does not track any movement for a period of 20 seconds.
- The parent unit temperature display really comes handy, as some babies cannot fall asleep if the temperature is too low or too high
- The device is quite sensitive to baby movements
- The inclusion of the parent unit is really a blessing as it provides the ultimate peace of mind
- Setup does not require much work
- For a baby monitor, it has multiple good features
- Battery life could have been better
Owlet Smart Sock 2 Baby Monitor
The Owlet Smart Sock 2 comes from Owlet, which is a company that makes exceptionally good baby products. Compared to other baby monitors, Smart Sock 2 is a unique device that is capable of tracking the heart rate of a baby.
A very lightweight sock in its core, the product not only ensures peace of mind for new parents but also does so while not bothering the baby at all. Many users of the product describe it as a must-have thing, and they are somewhat right.
This Owlet Monitor calls a Hypoallergenic Cotton Fabric Sock as its main component. The product comes with 3 different socks of different sizes in order to ensure the right fitting. Its Smart Sock Sensor utilizes the power of Bluetooth to transmit signals and compared to the first sock version the new version is able to provide 10 times range. The monitor includes a charging cord, too.
As far as dimensions and weight go, it has dimensions of 3.5 x 3.5 x 0.7 inches and a weight of 1.3 pounds. Other than that, there is a dedicated app that shows all sorts of different information about the baby to keep the parents alert at all times.
The Monitor begins its work when the sock is placed in one of the feet of the baby. As the sock is very lightweight and is BPA free, latex-free, and Lead-Free, the baby’s comfort or safety is not at all compromised.
The sock continuously transmits data to the main unit and app and sounds an alarm in case it thinks that the baby has stopped breathing for a while.
Its dedicated app works on all new versions of iOS and Android phones, and the device utilizes 1 lithium-ion battery that is able to work for 18 hours at a time.
- As the product is basically a sock that is worn by the baby, it works like a charm at all times
- The app support is really handy as parents can track various information about their baby on their phone from a distance
- The sock is very comfortable to wear for a baby
- Once you buy the product, you need not pay any subscription fee in order to have app support
- It does not have many fancy features
- It is quite expensive compared to other monitors
Snuza Hero Mobile Baby Movement Monitor
The Snuza Hero Mobile monitor is quite a nice baby monitor device that can be used without any hassles. Having only one main component, the monitor ensures simplicity at its best. While other monitors boast loads of different features, this particular monitor does not provide many things but focuses on what is most important.
A device made of medical-grade plastic, it is not only very safe to use for babies but also handy in a good way. If you want a monitor that does its core job in a fantastic way without caring about lots of bells and whistles, this device may be right for you. What is even better is it is priced well, too.
The Snuza Hero Mobile monitor is a monitor that is attached to the diaper of the baby. So, mainly, it is a very straightforward device that focuses only on one thing – that is tracking movements. It has dimensions of 6.5 x 1.7 x 9 inches, which can be regarded as neither too compact nor too bulky. When it comes to weight, it weighs about 1.1 ounces. So, you need not worry about heaviness at all. Your baby can have the component attached to the diaper and not even feel its presence due to its low weight. For power, the monitor depends on a rechargeable battery. The company claims that the battery life is 2000 hours, which is marvelous.
This monitor starts its work as soon as you attach it to the diaper of your baby and the baby starts breathing and moving. It begins to track movements and vibrates to rouse the baby in case there is no movement for 15 seconds. In case the baby stops breathing for 15 seconds on 3 different occasions, the monitor becomes vigilant and sounds alarmed in case there is no movement for 5 more seconds. As it is called a mobile monitor, it can be used almost everywhere you take your baby.
- There are no wires or cords to disturb your baby
- As there is only one main component, the whole thing is extremely easy to set up and use
- Battery life is really good compared to other baby monitors
- It can be used while traveling, which is a great feature to have
- Sometimes the monitor may trigger false alarms
How to Choose a Good Baby Breathing Monitor (Buyer’s Guide)
Even though baby monitors are small devices, they can be quite complex. That is the reason why so many parents are confused as to which product is good and which is not so much. In order to make your decision process easy, below we have listed the main aspects you need to consider while buying a baby breathing monitor:
The range is the most important aspect of a baby monitor. If you buy a baby monitor that has many good features but fails to provide a decent range, your money will be wasted. While buying a baby monitor, first consider how you will use it. Will you be in the kitchen most of the time when your baby is sleeping in another room?
Maybe there is a large distance between your bedroom and the baby’s room? The more the number of walls between the monitor and you, the better range you generally require. So, before putting your money on a product, see if the range is enough for your requirements or not.
What kind of a baby movement monitor do you need? Do you want a monitor that just blasts alarm in case there is any abnormality? Or you want a monitor that provides a parent unit too so that you can monitor your baby very well from a distance? Do you want multiple different components to maximize your baby’s safety, or do you want a simple monitor having only a single unit that attaches to the diaper or foot of the baby? Ask yourself what kind of monitor you really want before making any decision. If you like lots of features, go for something that has multiple components. On the other hand, if you value simplicity above all else, choose a monitor that has only one unit.
Do you want multiple different components to maximize your baby’s safety, or do you want a simple monitor having only a single unit that attaches to the diaper or foot of the baby? Ask yourself what kind of monitor you really want before making any decision. If you like lots of features, go for something that has multiple components. On the other hand, if you value simplicity above all else, choose a monitor that has only one unit.
Not all baby movement monitors alert you based on a single type of abnormality. While some monitors may track the belly movements of your baby by attaching themselves to the diaper, others may pick up signals from mattress movements with the help of the sensor pad.
Decide what kind of alarm type you really need. Do you need something that alerts you after 15 seconds of no movement? Or do you want something that tells you things are not going well based on the absence of breathing movements or heartbeat?
The range of features a baby monitor offers is something you need to consider, as well. Do you fancy a nice low light on the monitor that can provide glow when you come to check the baby at night? Maybe you want a monitor that is capable of alerting you, but which also transmits sounds to the parent unit all the time? You may want other kinds of features too, depending on the way you aspire to utilize the baby monitor.
So, consider the different features carefully. Also, do not always go for a monitor that gives you the most number of features. Instead, think about which features you will really use and buy accordingly. It is far better to have one or two good features that you use every day than having many that you barely use.
Battery life is not of much concern because most baby movement monitors provide a good amount of battery life. Still, you do not want something that drains the battery too fast all the time. Go for a unit that provides ample battery life. Also, instead of going for a device that utilizes AA or AAA batteries, try to go for one that has rechargeable batteries. The latter option is usually better because you do not have to keep changing the batteries all the time.
Warranty and return policy
Although these days most baby monitors can be regarded as quite reliable, it is always good to have a backup. That is why you need to go for something that provides a good warranty. If you have the option to buy an extended warranty by paying a bit extra, that is even better. Also, consider the return policy of a manufacturer before making a commitment.
Also, consider the return policy of a manufacturer before making a commitment. If for instance, you receive a monitor with faulty components or one that faces lots of interference from other wireless devices in your house, you will want to return it immediately. During such a time, the good return policy will really ensure that your money is not wasted.
The Disadvantages of Baby Movement Monitors
Baby breathing monitors or movement monitors are mostly very useful devices. However, they do come with a few disadvantages. First of all, baby movement monitors make the parents alert all the time. The very idea of baby monitors is to make sure that the parents are checking the monitors constantly. Even though that is not a bad thing, for parents that are hypersensitive the whole idea may be a bit too much.
Other than that, certain wireless baby monitors pick up interference from other wireless devices around the vicinity. If that happens, the monitors fail to do their work properly and may make sounds that are annoying.
Also, if you pick a monitor that is too sensitive, it may blast alarms all the time without any actual reason. When you go near the baby after hearing the alarm, you may find that the baby is fine and the alarm was false. Still, many parents think that it is better to have a sensitive monitor than having one that is not too sensitive.
Despite the above small disadvantages, baby breathing monitors have the ability to potentially save the lives of babies. So, it is best to just ignore the disadvantages and buy the best monitor you can find in the market.