Baby gates are an essential tool that as you might’ve guessed are designed to keep your baby safe when left unsupervised. This range of baby gates works by restricting your little munchkin to safe areas, and prevent them from darting into areas they aren’t supposed to be in such as kitchens where hot water spills or touching a hot stove/oven may cause some serious injury.
Baby gates can be had in a wide range of types and sizes, but if your child is a few inches more than other kids in height, you should buy the best extra tall baby gate. This type of baby gate just as the name suggests stands taller when compared to other types of baby gates such as extra wide baby gates, and are designed to connect with your door opening or at the top or bottom of the stairs.
Speaking of installation, extra tall baby gates can be hardware mounted to stay sturdily in position. This means that the baby gate cannot be moved at all, which makes hardware-mounted baby gates a highly recommended choice for the top and bottom of stairs.
Then there are pressure mounted extra tall baby gates, which are a great choice if you’re looking to connect them to the wall without drilling any holes or causing damage. One of the other benefits of pressure mounted baby gates is that they are highly portable, so you can simply release them from the wall and then install them in another area of your home in just a couple of steps.
Extra tall baby gates, however, are not recommended for the top of the stairs as they may cave in with applied pressure, causing your baby to tumble over. With regards to installation, extra tall baby gates are great choices for staircases, kitchens, bedrooms, and some weatherproof models that can also be used outdoors in your yard.
Best Extra Tall Baby Gates in 2021 – Our Top Choices
|Image||Baby Monitor Model||Our Rating||Price on Amazon|
|Summer Infant Multi-Use Deco Extra Tall Baby Gate||8.9||Check Price|
|Evenflo Multi-Use Decor Tall Walk-Thru Gate||8.8||Check Price|
|Safety 1st Easy Install Extra Tall and Wide Baby Gate||8.6||Check Price|
|Regalo Easy Step Walk Thru Baby Safety Gate||8.4||Check Price|
|North States 47.85″ Tall Easy Swing Extra Tall Baby Gate||8.2||Check Price|
Best Extra Tall Baby Gate – Detailed Reviews
Summer Infant Multi-Use Deco Extra Tall Baby Gate
Summer Infant is one of the biggest names in the baby accessory space, most notably due to the company’s vast lineup of award-worthy products. The company was founded not too long ago, and even though they started off with a handful of products, they not offer a massive portfolio of products that includes audio and video monitors, safety gates, play yards, and bed rails and strollers.
The Summer Infant Multi-Use Deco Extra Tall Baby Gate comes in at the #1 position on this list of extra-wide baby gates for several reasons. For starters, it can be ordered in a choice of two appealing finishes – beige and bronze, making it easy to match with your overall décor.
Next, the Deco extra all baby gate by Summer Infant is made from high-quality metal, so it will last you for several years to come. Adding to this, it features a pressure mounted design and can be installed on walls and doorways without drilling holes or using mounting hardware. This also means that it can be easily detached from the surface and moved around easily.
Measuring 48 x 0.5 x 36 inches, and weighing 21 lbs, the Summer Infant Deco extra tall baby gate stands 36 inches tall, making it an excellent choice for taller kids. Adding to this, it can fit door openings between 28.5 inches and 45 inches wide and comes with several extensions to increase or decrease its width – 8.75-inch extension and two 4.25 inch extensions.
Even though the Deco extra wide baby gate from Summer Infant is a pressure-mounted gate, it can also be mounted at the top of stairs with the included hardware mounting kit. The gate is designed for kids between the ages of 6 months to 2 years old, and small pets, and has been awarded the Mom’s Pick Award for best looks and ease of use by Baby Center.
The extra-wide walk-through door of the Deco extra wide baby gate can be opened in either direction when placed between rooms and with just one hand. When used in staircases, this baby safety gate does not swing open over the stairs thanks to its onsite door stopper. But that’s not all, the integrated door of the Deco extra tall baby gate by Summer Infant is fitted with a dual locking system for added peace of mind that it is locked every time.
And to top things off, the Summer Infant Deco extra tall baby gate features an auto-close feature, which gently and automatically closes the gate behind you. It is JPMA certified and surpasses ASTM Standards, making it safe to use for your baby. The Summer Infant baby gate is backed by a warranty against manufacturer defects, so you can buy with the confidence knowing that it won’t disappoint in terms of quality, safety and performance.
- Measures 48 x 0.5 x 36 inches
- Weighs 21 lbs
- Adjustable and fits door openings between 28.5” and 45” wide
- Backed by manufacturer warranty
- Made from metal
- JPMA certified
- Recommended for babies between 6 months to 2 years old
- Can be pressure or hardware mounted (kit included)
- Dual locking system
- Auto-close feature
- Available in two finishes
- Only available in two finishes
- Extra optional extensions not available
Evenflo Multi-Use Decor Tall Walk-Thru Gate
Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts and founded in 1920, Evenflo first took flight as the Pyramid Rubber Company and manufactured products related to baby feeding. The company has expanded its product offerings since then, and today manufactures a wide range of products including safety gates, doorway jumpers, play yards, stationary activity centers, car seats, sippy cups and much more.
The Evenflo Multi-Use Decor Tall Walk-Thru Gate slots in at the #2 position on this list of best extra wide baby gates, mostly owing to its dual functionality. It can be used as a pressure mounted or hardware mounted baby gate, making it a great choice for rental spaces where you may move around often and for those who may want to place the gate in different areas of their home.
The gate measures 28 x 2 x 36 inches, and weighs 15 lbs, and showcases a sleek black finish, so it will blend in easily with your overall décor rather than stick out like a sore thumb. In terms of height, the Evenflo Multi-Use Décor extra tall gate measures 36 inches tall, making it an ideal choice for taller kids. Further, it is a great fit for openings between 28 inches and 48 inches wide and is adjustable so you can add or remove the panels as you see fit.
The door of the Multi-Use Decor Tall Walk-Thru Gate by Evenflo can be operated with just one hand, which works well for parents who are juggling between many tasks at once such as laundry. Adding to this, the handle is appointed with a red and green indicator that indicates if the gate is latched properly.
Unlike cheap extra tall baby gates, the Evenflo Décor gate can be opened in both directions and is appointed with an auto-close hinge to reduce noise when closing and to ensure that the door is shut behind you. It is made from robust metal and can be cleaned easily with mild soap and warm water, but using abrasive cleaners or solvents is not recommended.
- Measures 28 x 2 x 36 inches
- Weighs 15 lbs
- Made from metal
- Fits openings between 28 inches and 48 inches wide
- 36 inches height
- Can be pressure mounted or hardware mounted
- Hardware mounting kit included
- Can be cleaned easily with mild soap and water
- Sleek black finish
- The door opens both ways
- One-hand operation
- Door shut indicator
- Only available in one color option
- Maybe challenging to install on angled walls
Safety 1st Easy Install Extra Tall and Wide Baby Gate
Safety 1st was conceived over 30 years ago, and are the pioneers of the yellow BABY ON BOARD® sign. The company took center stage with the launch of their collection of home safety products, but over the years has garnered a reputation for producing some of the best baby safety products in the industry. The Safety 1st product line includes car seats, feeding boosters, strollers, play yards, monitors and much more.
The Safety 1st Easy Install extra tall baby gate can be ordered in a choice of two styles and two sizes and is a great choice for homes with babies and pets. Adding to this, it can be easily adjustable to fit doorways and openings that are between 29 inches and 47 inches wide, and is JPMA certified and meets ASTM standards.
This pressure mounted extra tall baby gate stands 36 inches tall, making it a great choice for taller children, and can be set up within a few minutes in the appropriate spaces without using any tools or drilling holes. It features a SecureTech indicator, which let’s know whether the gate is secured in position or if the pressure needs further adjustment.
The Safety 1st extra tall safety gate measures 37.6 x 2.2 x 28.7 inches, and weighs 15.25 lbs, making it easy to carry with you and install in other areas of your home. Its onsite walk-through gate measures approximately 21.5 inches wide, which makes it easy to get in and out. Additionally, this walks through gate swings in both directions, so you can leave it open when your baby is asleep and walk in and out quietly.
The distance between the vertical bars is roughly 2.5 inches, so confining small to medium size pets should not be an issue. It comes with two different extensions to use in areas of varying widths, and even features four different pressure points for a secure fit. The latch of the gate is easy to open with one hand, making it easy to carry your baby and open and close.
- Measures 37.6 x 2.2 x 28.7 inches
- Weighs 15.25 lbs
- JPMA certified
- 5 inches wide walk through the gate
- 36 inches tall
- JPMA certified
- Walkthrough gate opens in both directions
- SecureTech indicator
- Comes with two different extensions
- Four different pressure points
- Fits doorways between 29 inches and 47 inches wide
- Cannot be hardware mounted
- Limited to one color option
Regalo Easy Step Walk Thru Baby Safety Gate
Tucked away in the heart of Burnsville, Minnesota, Regalo Baby is a family-owned company that designs and creates products that can be used for everyday children and grandchildren. All the products manufactured by the company feature three core components namely safety, simplicity and security, making them top choices in their segment. Some of the products from the company’s portfolio include gate extensions, portable beds, bumpers, and play yards.
The Regalo Easy Step Walk Thru Baby Safety Gate is certified by the American Society for Testing and Materials and is designed to fit door openings between 29 inches to 38 inches wide. In terms of height, this extra wide baby gate stands quite tall at 40 inches, making it a great choice for extremely tall babies.
It measures 92.7 x 2.5 x 104.1 cm and tips the scales at just 9.07 grams, so it can be carried around easily and set in different locations. It features a gap between the door latch and the frame, which may seem like a manufacturing defect, but this disappears once the gate flexes after proper installation.
This extra wide baby gate by Regalo features a pressure mounted design, so it won’t cause any damage to your walls given there’s no drilling needed for installation. It is a great choice for babies and pets and is equipped with an easy to open and close latch. Speaking of the latch, it is fitted with a one-touch-release safety lock for added security.
The Regalo Easy Step Walk Thru Baby Safety Gate comes with a total of three extensions, where each measure six inches. It is designed to be used for children between the ages of 6 to 24 months and sits sturdily on the floor owing to its heavy-duty metal construction. The gate features four different pressure points, which can be adjusted to achieve a stable and secure fit.
This extra wide baby gate by Regalo Baby features an extra-wide 16-inch wide door opening, which makes it easy to get in and out. Adding to this, the gate can be easily removed when not in use and stows flat, so you can easily set it in your closet or in the trunk of your vehicle.
- Measures 92.7 x 2.5 x 104.1 cms
- Weighs 9.07 grams
- 40 inches tall
- 29 inches to 38 inches wide openings
- Pressure mounted design
- For kids between 6 to 24 months of age
- 16-inch wide door opening
- All metal frame with no sharp edges
- Easy to use lever handle
- One-touch release safety lock
- Can be hardware mounted with included kit
- American society for testing and materials certified
- Available in one color only
- Maybe a bit slippery on tiled surfaces
The North States 47.85″ Tall Easy Swing Extra Tall Baby Gate
The North States is a young company was founded way back in 1953 and has quickly earned a stellar reputation for manufacturing some of the best baby safety products in the industry. Most of the company’s products are manufactured in the USA and are known for their quality, value and innovative features. Noteworthy products from the company’s portfolio include baby gates, pet gates, and bird feeders.
The North States Tall Easy Swing extra tall baby gate makes its way to the #5 position on this list of extra tall baby gates, owing to its massive 36-inch height. It is constructed of high-quality steel and is a great fit for openings between 28.68 inches and an extra-wide 47.85 inches. Further, it is not only fully functional and stylish with its soft white finish but can securely block stairways, doorways, and other spaces.
The Tall Easy Swing extra tall baby gate by the North States does not have a threshold to step over, so it swings open just like a door, which greatly reduces the chances of tripping over. Adding to this, it can be opened and closed with one hand and is fitted with a self-locking system to ensure it shuts automatically each time.
This extra tall baby gate by the North States showcases hardware mounted design, making it a great and secure fit for the top of the stairs and other areas in your home. It is easy to install and comes with a hinge pin, ten screws, lower latch, lower latch housing, mounting template, a wrench, and detailed installation instructions.
- Measures 2.5 x 48 x 36 inches
- Weighs 6.6 lbs
- 36-inch height
- Fits openings between 28.68 inches and 47.85 inches
- Hardware mounted design
- Comes with all the hardware needed for installation
- No threshold to step over
- Automatic IR night vision
- Made from high-quality steel
- Appealing soft white finish
- Self-lock feature
- Installation may be tricky
- Gate mounts are made from plastic
If your little munchkin is taller for his/her age, then an extra tall safety gate is what you should buy. When choosing the best extra tall safety gate, you will be spoilt for choice owing to the plethora of options available, but you really can’t go wrong with any of the 5 products on this list.
However, the Summer Infant Deco extra tall baby gate is the clear winner due to its long list of features, starting its JPMA certification and easy pressure-mounted installation. Further, it can fit openings between an impressive 28.5 inches to 45 inches wide, making it easy to use in different areas in your home.
One of the notable features of the Summer Infant extra tall baby gate is that it can be both pressure and hardware mounted, so you can mount it to the top of the stairs securely to prevent your baby from tumbling over. The Safety 1st Easy Install extra tall baby gate grabs the runner up position, because of its innovative features such as the SecureTech indicator, which lets you know when the gate is securely locked.
It fits openings between 29 to 47 inches wide and can be installed within a couple of minutes with no tools needed. In terms of height, the Safety 1st Easy Install extra tall baby gate doesn’t disappoint with its 36-inch height, and is JPMA certified and meets stringent ASTM quality standards. Lastly, it is lightweight even though its made from solid metal, and features a rather large walk-through gate (21.5 inches wide) to easily get in and out.
How to Choose a Best Extra Tall Baby Gate?
Choosing the best extra tall baby gate may seem like a straightforward task, but there’s a lot more to it. And given that this is an accessory that’s solely designed to keep your baby safe, it is important that you stay away from cheap extra tall baby gates, which are generally made from poor quality materials.
With that said, here are a few important factors to consider when in the market for the best extra tall baby gate.
- Size of the gate – perhaps the most important factor to consider is the size of a respective baby gate because simply put if it doesn’t fit right, it isn’t going to be effective at what it’s designed to do. Before shopping for a baby safety gate, you will have to take and note don two sets of measurements – first the height and width of the opening where you will be setting the gate, and then the height of your baby. The aspect of height is where you need to pay special attention, especially when buying an extra tall baby gate. After measuring the height of your child, buy a baby gate that’s at least ¾ of his/her height. This ensures they can’t easily climb over and run towards restricted areas. If you have an extra-wide door opening, one that’s much wider than what’s available, look for an extra-wide baby gate that can be fitted with optional extra panels to extend its width.
- Type of baby gate – if you’re like to take the baby gate places rather than connecting it to your wall with nuts and screws, you should buy a pressure-mounted model. But if you’re looking to safeguard your stairs especially at the top, a hardware-mounted baby gate is the best choice.
- Recommended age – most baby gate manufacturers list the age the product is suited for, which is generally between 6 months and 2 years old.
- Material – extra wide baby gates can be made from a wide range of materials, but most commonly are crafted from high-quality metal, wood, or a mix of both. What’s important is to choose a baby gate that’s made from nontoxic material to prevent injury.
- Locking mechanisms – you want to make sure that the baby gate you buy is easy to open and close even with one hand. Some of the best extra tall baby gates are equipped with dual locks for added security, while others also shut the door automatically shut the door behind you, and lock automatically.
- Door – All hardware-mounted baby gates are fitted with a door that you can open/close to get in and out. If you’re going to buy a pressure-mounted baby gate especially an extra wide model, look for one that comes with a door so that you don’t have to hop over or detach the gate to put your child behind it.
- Padding – whether you buy pressure or hardware-mounted baby gate, you should ensure that they don’t cause any damage to your floors. The best extra wide baby gates are appointed with some type of padding under the panels, which are designed to prevent scratches on your floors – hardwood, tiles, etc.
- Certification – the best baby gates are certified by the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA) and others adhere to ASTM Standards or both. All products certified by the JPMA are safe for baby use, and won’t cause any harm to your child.
- Weight – if you’re going to be carrying the baby gate around – pressure-mounted gates, you should buy one that’s lightweight or one that’s easy to carry for you.
- Storage – some baby gates fold easily while others don’t come with that option. If you’re going to be setting up the baby gate in different locations, then you probably one that folds down easily and fits in the trunk of your vehicle.
- Warranty – since a baby gate is not something that you should be buying often, but in fact, the best ones should last for years to come, it is nice to buy a model that’s backed by a warranty against any manufacturer defects. However, if a manufacturer’s warranty isn’t available, reading baby gate reviews should help you determine the overall quality of the baby gate.