It’s a fact – babies are curious, and even though this is a good thing as it leads to learning, it can also lead to dire consequences. Babies out of curiosity tend to venture out in areas that aren’t baby safes such as kitchens where spills are inventible and bathrooms with bathtubs filled with water.
With the best extra wide baby gate, you can confine your baby in areas where they will be safe at all times, and still peacefully go on with your daily household tasks. When choosing the best baby gate, you will be spoilt for choice given the myriad options available
But just as the name would suggest – an extra wide baby gate is designed to cordon off larger areas such as expansive living room areas and yards. This type of baby gate is available across two common types – pressure and hardware mounted, where the former doesn’t require any hardware for installing and the latter is fitted to your door openings or walls with a hardware mounting kit.
Before buying the best wide gate, you first need to see if this is the right type of gate for your needs or will a retractable baby gate or freestanding baby gate be a better fit for your needs. Speaking of mounting, most of the best extra wide baby gates can be secured to the top and bottom of stairs to prevent your little munchkin from tumbling over, and some can also be ordered with optional extensions in case you’d like to increase their width.
Adding to this, since this range of baby gates spans a large width, some can even serve as an enclosed playpen, which in most cases is generously spaced to accommodate your baby and a bucketload of toys. Extra-wide baby gates have become increasingly popular among parents and are easily available, but just like buying any other baby accessory, it is extremely important to check out the respective features of a respective model to ensure it is safe for your little one.
How to Choose a Best Extra Wide Baby Gate? Buying Guide
Extra-wide baby gates may seem like a no brainer to buy, but believe it or not, there’s a lot to consider to ensure you are investing in an effective and safe product.
- Usability – The first and most important aspect to take into account before heading on the shopping trail is where you will be setting the baby gate. If you’re going to set the gate in the middle of doorways or hallways, then both pressure mounted and hardware mounted extra wide baby gates are a good choice. However, if you’re going to be using the baby gate to secure the top or bottom of stairs, then experts highly recommended that you opt for a hardware mounted baby gate as it stays firmly in place, so there’s little or no chance of nasty incidents.
- Measuring your space – baby gates are available in a wide range of sizes both in terms of height and width, so it’s important to measure the area where you wish to install it before forking out the cash. Most baby gates should cover up to 48 inches in width, but if you will probably need an extra-wide baby gate if it’s anything more than that.
- Pets – most of the best extra wide baby gates can also be used to restrict pets from certain areas in your home. But if you’re going to using the gate for your pet too, you should make sure that the distance between the vertical bars isn’t big enough for your pet to squeeze through.
- Indoor or outdoor – Some extra wide gates are designed to be used indoors only, while others can be used both in indoor and outdoor areas. Be sure to read the extra wide baby gate reviews to ensure that it won’t rust or fade when placed in outdoor spaces such as yards.
- Materials – extra wide baby gates are generally made from either wood or metal, and choosing between them truly boils down to personal preference. However, what’s most important here is ensuring that either wood or metal gates don’t have any sharp edges and are sturdy enough to handle the pressure of your baby or pet.
- Locks – this is the component that secures the gate when it’s shut. Some of the best extra wide baby gates come with a dual locking system that provides extra security and is easy to open and close, often with just one hand.
- Child’s height – generally speaking, most baby gates stand approximately between 28 inches and 30+ inches tall, so choose baby bate that’s at least ¾ of your child’s height.
- Portability – if you’re going to be moving the gate around across locations, then you should look for a pressure-mounted extra wide baby gate that’s lightweight, and can be easily folded to haul around with you.
- Colors and design – this again is a matter of personal choice, but you also don’t want the baby gate to stick out like a sore thumb when placed in your home.
5 Best Extra Wide Baby Gates- Our Top Choices
|Image||Baby Monitor Model||Our Rating||Price on Amazon|
|North States 3-in-1 Arched Décor Metal Superyard||9.0||Check Price|
|Regalo Super Wide Adjustable Baby Gate and Play Yard||8.8||Check Price|
|North States 72″ Wide Deluxe Décor Baby Gate||8.6||Check Price|
|Evenflo Soft and Wide Gate||8.5||Check Price|
|Summer Infant Metal Expansion Gate||8.2||Check Price|
Best Extra Wide Baby Gate – Detailed Reviews
North States 3-in-1 Arched Décor Metal Superyard
The North States is one of the leading names in the baby gates segment for several reasons, most notably due to the company’s superior quality products. This employee-owned company was founded in 1953 and manufactures most of its products in the USA. With regards to their products, North States has something in store for everyone from baby gates, pet gates and a wide range of birdhouses and feeders.
The North States 3-in-1 Arched Décor Metal Superyard slots in at the #1 position on this list of best extra wide baby gates owing to its 3-in-1 design. This allows you to use it as a play yard, freestanding baby gate or mounted baby gate. This truly versatile extra wide baby gate can be set up within minutes and features a total of six panels
When connected together, the panels collectively span an astounding 144 inches wide, making it a great choice for both small and large spaces. Adding to this, the Arched Décor Metal Superyard extra wide baby gate by the North States can be set on a wide range of flooring without causing any scratches including hardwood floors, carpets, and tiles, and comes with all the necessary mounting hardware to attach it to the top or bottom on staircases or door openings.
When used as a portable playpen, the North States Arched Décor Metal Superyard extra wide baby gates provides your baby with a massive 10 square feet enclosure, which is a generous amount of space to accommodate your baby and a bucketload of toys. In terms of height, the Arched Décor Metal Superyard baby gate by the North States stands 30 inches tall, making it a great fit for taller babies.
With regards to construction, the Arched Décor Metal Superyard extra wide baby gate hardly disappoints with its all-metal heavy-duty frame, topped with a highly appealing oil brushed black/brown finish. Measuring 30 x 2 x 151 inches and tipping the scales at just 4.41 lbs, the North States Arched Décor Metal Superyard freestanding playpen is equipped with a double locking system for added security, and is compatible with high baseboards.
Additionally, it can be mounted on angled walls, and even features a walk-through door to let your kids out and in rather than lifting them over the gate. This gate locks automatically behind you, so you don’t have to worry about whether its shut or not. The panels of the gate can be removed or attached as you see fit, so you can make it smaller or larger on the fly. If you’re looking for the best extra wide baby gate for indoor spaces, the Arched Décor Metal Superyard by the North States is hard to beat.
- Made with high-quality metal
- Measures 30 x 2 x 151 inches
- Weighs 4.41 lbs
- 144 inches width
- 30 inches height
- Can be used in 3 different ways
- Double locking system
- Gate closes automatically
- Oil brushed black/brown finish
- 10 square feet enclosure
- Does not cause damage to flooring
- Can be set up quickly
- Comes with a mounting kit
- Not suited for outdoor spaces
- Limited to one color option
Regalo Super Wide Adjustable Baby Gate and Play Yard
Headquartered in Burnsville, Minnesota, Regalo Baby has conceived not long ago but has quickly garnered a stellar reputation owing to their expansive lineup of award-worthy products. One of the noteworthy features of Regalo Baby products is that they are all JPMA certified and meets all ASTM standards, so regardless of which one you buy, you can rest assured that quality and safety are top notches. The Regalo Baby product lineup includes portable beds, play yards, booster and floor seats, safety gates and so much more.
The Regalo Super Wide Adjustable Baby Gate and Play Yard is in a league of its own with its expansive width of 192 inches. Further, it showcases a 2-in-1 design, allowing you to use it as a play yard or as a mounted baby gate. It is designed for children up to 24 months of age and comes with a total of eight – 24-inch panels.
When used as a play yard, the Super Wide extra wide baby gate provides 19 square feet of space, which gives your baby enough room to play comfortably. With regards to the panels, they connect with hinged posts, so you can literally configure the gate in any shape you want.
This Regalo extra wide baby gate is made from superior quality steel and can be folded and stored easily when not in use. It can be easily mounted to your walls and is fitted with a walk through the door to get in and out. On that note, the walkthrough door is equipped with a double lock lever handle, which ensures the gate is easy to open and shuts tight behind you.
Weighing in 31.1 lbs and measuring 192.1 x 0.4 x 28 inches, the Regalo Super Wide baby gate is JPMA certified and meets ASTM standards, making it completely safe to use for your child. To top things off, it is backed by a 90-day warranty against any manufacturer defects, so you can rest assured it will serve you well for many years to come.
- Measures 192.1 x 0.4 x 28 inches
- Weighs 31.1 lbs
- JPMA certified and meets ASTM standards
- 90-day manufacturer warranty
- Recommended for children up to 24 months of age
- 192 inches width and 28 inches height
- Integrated walk through the door
- Double lock lever handle
- Can be used as a mounted baby gate or play yard
- Total of 8 panels with hinged posts
- Made from high-quality steel
- 19 square feet enclosed play yard size
- For indoor use only
- May slide from side to slide with extreme pressure
North States 72″ Wide Deluxe Décor Baby Gate
When shopping for the best extra wide baby gate, you probably heard the name North States crop up often. And there’s a good reason for this, most notably the fact that the company manufactured most of their products in the USA, and each is certified by the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association. Founded in 1953, North States offers a vast portfolio of products that includes baby gates, pet gates, and even bird feeders.
The North States Décor Baby Gate grabs the #3 position on this list of extra-wide baby gates owing to its innovative design and one-handed operation. It is crafted from kid-tough heavy-duty powder-coated metal and features vertical bars that are difficult to climb. This extra wide baby gate by the North States is designed to fit openings between 38.3″ and 72″ wide, and stands 30 inches in height, making it a perfect choice for taller babies.
It boasts a tri-panel design, so there are just three panels to put together for easy setup of the gate. Measuring 7.2 x 7.2 x 3 inches and weighing 4.41 lbs, the North States mounted extra-wide gate features solid metal construction and an exclusive matte bronze finish to enhances to enhance its overall appeal and design.
Getting in and out of the gate is easy thanks to its swinging walkthrough panel. This panel measures 25.5 inches wide and is fitted with a childproof double locking system. You can even leave the gate panel open if you’d like by simply engaging the integrated hold-open feature. And when you want to extend or retract the gate, loosen the joints of the gate by rotating both the vertical bars clockwise, and then press and hold down the gate release.
The North States Wide Deluxe Décor Baby Gate can be easily configured to your space owing to its pivoting points and can be mounted on both straight and angled walls. Adding to this, it can be operated with just one hand and can be detached from the brackets and put away when not in use. For a baby gate that offers the fuss-free operation, the North States extra wide baby gate is worth a second look.
- Measures 7.2 x 7.2 x 3 inches
- Weighs 4.41 lbs
- Fits opening s between 38.3″ and 72″ wide
- Heavy-duty powder-coated metal construction
- 30 inches height
- Childproof double locking system
- Can be mounted on straight and angled walls
- Can be detached from brackets and out away
- Integrated hold-open feature
- Walkthrough panel
- 6 optional extensions can be added to increase the width
- Not suitable for outdoor use
- The door of the gate may be easy to open for your child
Evenflo Soft and Wide Gate
Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts and founded in the early 1920s, Evenflo is a household name in the baby care segment. The company first started off with manufacturing products for baby feeding, but today boasts a massive product line that includes an assortment of sippy cups, high chairs, play yards, stationary activity centers, travel systems and baby safety gates and doorway jumpers.
The Evenflo Soft and Wide gate is a bit different than the other products on this list in that it features a retractable design, and does not require hardware mounting. Adding to this, this gate can be used in hallways, doorways, the bottom of stairs, laundry and bedrooms, and it is easy to set up and remove when needed.
Measuring 60 x 38 x 27 inches, and weighing a modest 6 lbs, the Emery Soft and Wide baby gate by Evenflo expands from 38 inches to 60 inches wide and is crafted from a combination of high-quality metal and cloth. It stands 27 inches tall, making it an ideal fit for taller kids, and can be ordered in two different variants – Emery and Wide Gate.
This pressure mounted extra wide baby gate easily retracts when released, so all you have to do it roll it, and haul it around. Furthermore, the Evenflo soft and wide baby gate comes fully assembled right out of the box, so there’s no tools or mounting hardware to work with to install it in your desired location.
Speaking of which, this pressure mounted baby gate from Evenflo compliments a variety of home decors and does not damage your walls or door openings owing to its non-marring rubber bumpers. Best of all, the Evenflo extra wide baby gate is machine washable, making it easy to get rid of stubborn stains as and when they occur.
When installed properly, this gate stands sturdily in place and can withstand a few pushes and pulls. Additionally, its width can be adjusted to different lengths at the top and bottom owing to the tension rods that can be twisted to fit. Take note that this gate is not recommended for mounting at the top of stairs, and doing so may result in injury.
- Measures 60 x 38 x 27 inches
- Weighs 6 lbs
- Pressure mounted design
- 27 inches height
- Not to be mounted at top of stairs
- Washable material
- Fully assembled with no hardware mounting
- Non-marring rubber bumpers prevent damage to walls
- Can be adjusted to different lengths
- Made from high-quality metal and cloth
- Expands from 38 inches to 60 inches wide
- Cannot be expanded further
- Not recommended for top of stairs
Summer Infant Metal Expansion Gate
Summer Infant has been around for the past few decades and still continues to grow exponentially owing to its superior quality of products. The company manufactures a wide spectrum of products including baby monitors, gates, bed rails, strollers, activity and floor seats, bath accessories and even potties and toilet trainers. Each of the company’s products is thoughtfully designed and are safe for you for your baby.
Coming in at the #5 position on this list of best extra wide baby gates is none other than the Summer Infant Metal Expansion Gate, mostly because it can fit door openings between 44 inches and 72 inches wide. Adding to this, this baby safety gate by Summer Infants features a stylish bronze metal finish, making it easy to blend in with your overall décor.
It is designed to be hardware mounted and is a perfect fit for even extra-wide doorways. When installed properly, it stands sturdily in place and is equipped with a walk through the door for kids and parents to get in and out. Adding to its extensive list of features, the gate is appointed with a soft scratch guard at the bottom to prevent damage to your floors.
The Summer Infant Metal Expansion Gate weighs 27.7 lbs, and measures 44 x 2.5 x 36 inches, and comes with the walkthrough gate and four extensions for easy setup. It stands 36 inches tall, so even taller kids will not be able to run loose. This Summer Infant extra wide baby gate is backed by a leading one year warranty against any manufacturer defects.
- Weighs 27.4 lbs
- Measures 44 x 2.5 x 36 inches
- Stands 36 inches tall
- Bronze metal finish
- One year warranty
- Integrated walk through the gate
- Four extensions
- Fits door openings between 44 inches and 72 inches wide
- Easy to setup
- The soft scratch guard at bottom to prevent floor damage
- Doesn’t open flat against the other panels
- Cannot be pressure mounted
Buying the best extra wide gate is a great choice for homes big and small since most of them can be expanded or shortened in width as the need arises. The products mentioned on this list are some of the best extra wide child safety gates in this segment and come with all the right features to keep your child safe at all times.
The North States 3-in-1 Arched Décor Metal Superyard baby gate, however, takes home the gold in this space, most notably due to its 3-in-1 design. This makes it possible to use the gate in three separate ways namely as an enclosed play yard, hardware-mounted gate or freestanding baby gate.
But that’s not all, the North States baby gate expands to a whopping 144 inches, making it one of the widest gates in this space. So, with the included hardware kit, you can add barriers to areas such as fireplaces or those up to 12 feet across. It features an attractive and sturdy brushed metal design, and high-quality lock mechanisms making it challenging for your baby to open and run loose.
If the gate is too long for your space, you can easily remove or add panels on the fly, which allows fitting the gate in several different locations. It comes with all the necessary mounting hardware, and can even be installed on angled walls and surfaces. The Evenflo Soft and Wide gate is the runner up on this list and is a great choice if you don’t want to mess around with hardware installation.
One of the best things about this game is that it features a pressure mounted design and comes fully assembled right out of the box. It is crafted from a mix of fabric and metal and is easy to clean thanks to its washable fabric. In terms of width, this gate expands from 38 inches to 60 inches wide and is fitted with rubber bumpers so it won’t damage your floors.
The Evenflo Soft and Wide gate can be ordered in a choice of two variants – Emery and Wide Gate and is easy to fold and take with you when released. This extra wide baby gate is equipped with non-marring rubber bumpers to prevent damage to your home, and its length at the top and bottom can be adjusted by twisting the onsite tension rods.
Both the Evenflo Soft and Wide gate and the North States Arched Décor Metal Superyard baby gate are great choices, but if you want one that highly portable, then the latter is a great choice. Contrarily, if you want to buy an extra-wide baby gate that can serve three different purposes within your home, then the North States 3-in-1 Arched Décor Metal Superyard baby gate is what you should be looking at.